Sunday 27 January 2013

Pistachio Spread

SDC10669

Pistachios are delicious. A wonderful more-ish snack for lazy days when you don't feel like cooking.

Today, I am stuck at home. Why? You might ask. Well, after 3 months of drought, empty rain tanks and stifling heat. We are now enjoying a flood. The large river which runs through the centre of our town has turned into a giant lake.

This does happen several times per year so it's not as if we weren't expecting it. However with school starting tomorrow and our house being on the other side of town, my little brother is behaving as though he just ate a kilo of sugar.

My school is on the same side of town as us, so I still have to go (weeps silently). To cheer myself up I combined two great loves (Pistachios and spreads) to make this:

SDC10670


 I wondered around on the Internet looking for an exciting spread I could make within my minute concentration range....and couldn't find one which appealed to me particularly. Grasping at some key points in all of the recipes I found, I came up with my own delicious version:

In this spread I used:
2 tablespoons of onion
1 garlic clove
1/4 feta cheese (most of the recipes suggested blue cheese, but I didn't have any)
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup of pistachios
1 teaspoon olive oil

Step 1.
Mince and fry the onion and garlic in olive oil.

Step 2.
Combine the onion & garlic with the yogurt in a food processor. Lightly process then add the feta cheese and pistachios. Process until smooth.

Step 3. Lightly toast some bread and serve with pistachio spread.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Talk about amazing sounding! I am going to have to give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to serve this at a party :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just gave me a great idea, a pistachio party! Fabulous suggestion CCU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. making homemade spreads is so much fun and tastes so good!
    this pistachip version is so unique and bursting with flavors!
    -abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy that you like my recipe, I love making unusual dips :)

    ReplyDelete